Greg is a fearless web warrior, fighting for browser and website progress. While training at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, he published articles with the Opera Web Standards Curriculum. Subsequently, he went on to battle alongside many different web companies, including Amazon, Yahoo, Google, and Facebook. After spearheading the movement for HTML5 video capabilities at YouTube and attacking data visualizations at Facebook, he changed his colors to fight alongside Boostable where he awaits his next battleground.
- Coordinated and led team in building V3 of Boostable's self service product for merchants
- Architected and Built Dashboard tool for Boostable's self service product for marketplace admins
- Push Czar
- Built CLI tool for managing release branches and staging/production deployments
- Fullstack Software Engineer
- Awesome front-end Engineering in React, Babel and Webpack
- Built out testing framework in Nightwatch.js and Casper.js
Web Warrior(Senior Web Developer)
- Senior Web Developer on Video Publisher Team
- Built internal tools for Onavo data analysis
- Developed charts and visualizations for Facebook Insights projects
- Created Advertising Interfaces for Ads Create Flow
- Core member of the Web Developer team.
- Tech Lead and evangelist for the YouTube HTML5 Player.
- Accessibility Lead
- Fools expert: The YouTube Collection, HTML5 Rickrolling
- Assisted with the development of YouTube Feather, YouTube 3D for HTML5, Live Streaming, Upload Widget, and other various projects.
Software Dev Engineer
- Enhanced the Amazon user base ability to gift, by designing and developing a new gift card ordering interface.
- Lead various front-end performance initiatives within the company and across multiple teams.
- Assisted with site wide advanced image compression research.
Software Engineer for YouTube Core Product Intern
- Developed the first iterations of an experimental playlist toolbar.
- Led the proposal to make YouTube the world's largest deployment of semantic markup.
- Set up analytics and developed new user interface for YouTube's click to buy monetization initiatives.
Technical Yahoo for Search Submit and the Yahoo Widgets Intern
- Created widgets for the Yahoo Widget gallery.
- Automated the billing reports for all of Search Submit's content providers and resellers.
- Developed a variety of hacks which competed in Yahoo's various competitions.
- Won Best Hack at Yahoo! Internal Hack Day Summer 2007, the details of which are confidential, as this feature was judged innovative enough to be implemented in the future.
3GSM System Tester Intern
- Conducted tests on many of Motorola's first 3G cell phones
- Designed and created all software components of an automatic sim dispenser. Using PHP and MySQL, created a web-based system where workers can reserve, check out, and check in SIMs to use for their testing.
- Assisted in the creation of the new mobile devices system test website. Gathered and formatted contact and region specific information for the international regions of our team.
Speaking and Publications
Talks for Conferences
I Want my LOLCat Videos Faster
A talk about Front-end Performance at YouTube.
Given at Reflections | Projections 2010.
HTML5, Flash and the Battle for Faster Cat Videos
HTML5; it's new, it's awesome, and it's powerful, but can it take down the champ of video distribution, Flash. Which technology's got the ability to bring cat video to the next level? This talk covers the many challenges of both HTML5 and YouTube adapting to change video distribution on the web.
Given at Wash U, Carnegie Mellon, WebDU 2011, Velocity 2011, Google Developer Days 2011, jsdays 2012, Fluent 2012, RIT 2013, Codemotion Berlin 2013, Developer week/Web Developer Conference Nuremberg 2013 and as a O'Reilly Media Webcast.
- HTML5 Slide Deck
- Post from Google Developer Day Japan.
- Interview with O'Reilly.
- SlideShare Slides.
- YouTube videos.
YouTube's iframe Player: The Future of Embedding
YouTube players allow for video playback in web applications. The latest YouTube's embedded iframe player supports both Flash and HTML5 video and exposes a rich API which lets you control the YouTube playback experience. We'll give you details on how the API was developed, and show you how it can power the videos on your own website.
Given at Google I/O 2011.
Mobile Meow: Bringing YouTube Videos to a Mobile World
This is the story of the glory and struggle of bringing a high quality YouTube experience to the mobile web. Once upon a time there was a web developer who wanted to play videos on the web. So he filmed a cat and wrote a Flash and a HTML5 player. He spent many hours making it work on his favorite desktop browsers and even the one his grandfather still used. People could watch his cat video, he smiled, and the world was good. Then one day someone put a browser in a phone and soon there were many phones with many different browsers. This new set of environments were even harder to develop for and had a slew of new terrifying bugs. The web developer was miserable knowing people couldn't watch his cat video. With much time and effort he figured out many of the secrets needed to combat the evils of the different mobile platforms. Once again people could watch his cat video, he smiled, and the world was good. The end.
HTML5 at YouTube: Stories from the Front Line
Is HTML5 ready for production code? Of course it is. This is a look into all the different HTML5 technologies we use in live code at YouTube. We'll have a collection of tips, tricks, and best practices for HTML5 video, the track tag, getUserMedia, and more. Plus a deep dive into Mobile Video Tag development.
Young Innovators @ Google - Greg Schechter, Google Student Blog
Videos and Interviews
- YouTube Developers Live: HTML5 at YouTube
- HTML5, Flash and online video: Greg Schechter interviewed at Fluent 2012
- Google I/O 2012 - HTML5 at YouTube: Stories from the Mobile Front
- Greg Schechter & Eugene Goldin | Bring Youtube to the Mobile Web | Mobilism 2012
- GDD 2011 Japan: HTML5, Flash and the Battle for Faster Cat Videos
- GDD 2011 Israel: HTML5, Flash and the Battle for Faster Cat Videos
- Google I/O 2011: YouTube's iframe Player: The Future of Embedding
University of Illinois
B.S. in Computer Science, minor in Mathematics GPA: 3.5/4.0
Library ExperiencesReact, Babel Nightwatch.js Capser.js jQuery, Google Closure
Open source npm packages
- A collection of bird watching related tools
Field Guide Guru
- Developing a database of both book and app field guides as a travel tool
Founder and developer of www.scheedule.com. Scheedule is a scheduling website to assist students with the class registration process.
- Created and maintained all data sources for this project.
- Wrote numerous scripts in Perl, PHP, and Java to gather information about the Universities, including class information, seating information, and building maps and locations.
- Designed and developed both back end support and front end design of many unique features of Scheedule.
- Developing Scheedule for multiple schools around the nation.
- Exploratory development in using breath as a control via game demos using Microsoft's C# XNA framework.
- Modified an Xbox controller to include a pressure sensor to sense how hard the user is breathing.
- Web application tool which automatically analyzes what a person is writing about, and provides them with relevant information including websites, news results, and Yahoo Answers.
Slide Rule Widget
- Found at the Yahoo Widget's library.
- Independently designed and created a slide rule widget whose main purpose is to teach its users how to use a slide rule.
- This widget includes a traditional slide rule, a cylindrical slide rule, a non-logarithmic slide rule, a hexadecimal slide rule, and a tutorial, along with other features to facilitate computation.
- This widget won first place at the UIUC and National University Yahoo! Hack Day competitions.
- A video of my presentation can be found here.
- Crowe Chizek and Company LLC Outstanding Computer Science Student 2008.
- Paul Horwitz Compassion Scholarship 2005.
- Yahoo! University Hack Day 2008: Best Music Application
- 2008 Yahoo Open Hack Day: Most Impromptu Hack Award.
- Yahoo! Search Monkey Developer Challenge: Best Enhanced Result.
- Yahoo! Internal Hack Day Summer 2007: Best Hack for a confidential project.
- Yahoo! Intern Widget Contest: Best Use of Yahoo! APIs.
- Big Thinkers Video Contest: 2nd Place for jumpcut video.
- Yahoo! University Hack Day 2006-2007: First place for Slide Rule Widget at both UIUC and National competitions.
- Engineering Open House 2006: Collaborative Text Editor received 3rd place in the category of the theme exhibit 'Beyond Imagination'.
Eagle Scout: 2004
Primary Student Advisor for UIUC's Web Technology Courses
With a professor's assistance created an exploratory course in web technologies to integrate web technology courses into the college's computer science curriculum.
Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
Member of SigSoft; a special interest group for software.
Engineering Learning Assistant
Teacher of an introductory course for the college of engineering at the University of Illinois.
Peer Advisor for the Computer Science Department
Organized events for Yahoo, including a student Hack Dinner.
- Certified Frog Monitor
- Assisted with research on the movements and habits of Dicamptodon tenebrosus (Coastal Giant Salamander): Summer 2010
- American Birding Association Life Lister in Illinois and California